Re: Installing kernel-image-2.4.17-k7

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Any suggestions for improved wording? This is what is there now:
> You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version $version)
> This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
> initrd.

This was good; it pointed out which RTFM was germane. A note that the new 2.4.x
kernel images use initrd whereas the 2.2.x kernels didn't would help those of us
who don't follow kernel development realize that there's something new that we
need to pay attention here.

>         People running lilo also get this message:
> As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
> add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' in your /etc/lilo.conf

More explicit instructions about where in /etc/lilo.conf the line should go would
have made the fix easier--that it should go in the image=/vmlinuz section, and not
at, say, the end of the file. Perhaps this is obvious once you know, but it's
those of us who don't know who need clear instructions! ;-) From the number of
posts I found on this topic in the archives, apparently there are a few of us out
there.

>         Everyone gets this:
> I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already done
> so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
>   `do_initrd = Yes'
> in /etc/kernel-img.conf.

This confused me a bit. At first I thought maybe /etc/kernel-img.conf was
necessary for the kernel to install, but then I realized that it just shuts off
the warning. I ended up just editing /etc/lilo.conf in another terminal and
resuming the kernel install without messing with /etc/kernel-img.conf and when the
install found /etc/lilo.conf to be in proper shape, all went well.

So, I'm not clear how this particular warning aids the process. Should the user be
allowed to eliminate the warning even if they haven't done the Right Thing with
lilo.conf yet? If they have, they won't get the warning anyway. Seems to me that
all would be clearer if this particular message were just dropped, or replaced by
a repeat of the "You can't get past this step of the install until you've fixed
your boot loader" message.

>         Some lilo users, who have this line in lilo.conf, get warned:
> In addition, the line
>         "ramdisk = 0"
> should be removed or commented.
>
>  (non lilo users do not get the lilo specific message, of course).
>
>         manoj

Thanks for requesting input, Manoj, and thanks for maintaining the package!!

Stan