Re: Installing kernel-image-2.4.17-k7

At 12:21 AM 02/28/02 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>	Any suggestions for improved wording? This is what is there now:
>You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version $version)
>This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
>initrd.
>
>	People running lilo also get this message:
>As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
>add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' in your /etc/lilo.conf

I think those are clear, now that the parts are making more sense to me.
It might be helpful to show the lilo line in the first message box, and
maybe say what "an initrd kernel image" means.  But, it's mostly user error
on my part.  It's just a lot to understand the first time through.

I just finished building 2.4.17 from kernel-source into a .deb, and
installing that.  The only step I forgot this time was to add my ethernet
card to /etc/modules on first boot.  Minor problem.

I'm not exactly clear what installing from a package does -- copies the
image to /boot, sets up the symlinks, copies the modules to /lib/modules.
I guess it also let's you manage the compiled kernel as a package.

Anyway, I do think the messages are fine.  Thanks for your help,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org