Re: Installing kernel-image-2.4.17-k7

#include <hallo.h>
Bill Moseley wrote on Wed Feb 27, 2002 um 06:41:05AM:

> So, I'd like to avoid the kernel panic this time with the
> kernel-image-2.4.17-k7 package.  What steps do I need to take to make sure
> I will end up with a bootable image?  Someone mentioned that moving to the
> more modular 2.4 kernel might have been the problem - something about not
> setting up initrd?

Edit /etc/lilo.conf. Locate the line containing = /vmlinuz. Insert a
line after that with initrd = /initrd.img.

> I'd also like to also use lilo.conf to be able to select which kernel (I
> can figure this out, but I mention it as I'm not sure if just apt-get'ing
> the kernel-image will do this by default).

It will set the /vmlinuz symlink to point to the recently installed
image. /vmlinuz is normally used in lilo.conf as the default kernel. And
/vmlinuz.old as the previous kernel.

> Anyway, last time I just apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.17-k7, but
> perhaps that was not enough.  I poked around looking for docs, but mostly
> found info about compiling my own.  Any pointers?

If you are not sure, use the kernel-image-2.4.17-bf2.4 package. It is
compiled without initrd and should have the same boot behaviour as 2.2.x
kernels.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--