Installing kernel-image-2.4.17-k7

I had started the process of building a kernel yesterday before being so
rudely interrupted by sleep.

I'm currently running 2.2.20 but upgrading to 2.4.17.  I had tried once
before to use a kernel-image, but ended up with a kernel-panic that I never
followed up on.  This system was installed Woody and upgraded to Sid.

I'd like to try using kernel-image-2.4.17-k7 for the experience of using a
packaged kernel, and then also I'd have a very close .config to start with
when I want to build my own kernel from source.

So, I'd like to avoid the kernel panic this time with the
kernel-image-2.4.17-k7 package.  What steps do I need to take to make sure
I will end up with a bootable image?  Someone mentioned that moving to the
more modular 2.4 kernel might have been the problem - something about not
setting up initrd?

I'd also like to also use lilo.conf to be able to select which kernel (I
can figure this out, but I mention it as I'm not sure if just apt-get'ing
the kernel-image will do this by default).

Anyway, last time I just apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.17-k7, but
perhaps that was not enough.  I poked around looking for docs, but mostly
found info about compiling my own.  Any pointers?

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org