Re: How to Upgrade from Potato to Woody?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:49:50PM -0900, Greg C. Madden wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 07:58, Ed Lawson wrote:
>
> This was posted by Dwarf on the devel list. Slighty edited for brevity.
> http://www.polaris.net/~dwarf/
>

> snip
> 2. Before doing the upgrade, but after an 'apt-get update', first do:
>
>          apt-get install apt dpkg apt-utils
>
>    Lots of stuff gets removed at this stage, probably because of
>    dependencies on libraries that have to be upgraded for apt and dpkg.
>    Best I can tell, these all get "repaired" later in the upgrade.
>
>    I've added apt-utils to this pre-upgrade list because debconf
> complains
>    that it isn't installed otherwise, and fails to do its thing.
>
> 3. Now an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' is possible, but when the smoke clears
> it
>    is still necessary to do 'apt-get -f install' to clean up some minor
>    messes.

I have done several upgrades lately, following these basic instructions,
and all have performed perfectly. Admittedly, most of these have been
rather vanilla installations, but each has some significant differences
(all amd or intel, however), and the upgrade has been a breeze. In the
past, not following this particular course, I have had some difficult
upgrades, so I was very impressed.

--
Gary Dolan
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r4, Kernel 2.5.5