Re: How to Upgrade from Potato to Woody?

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 07:58, Ed Lawson wrote:

> >On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 08:58:35AM -0600, David Bell wrote:
> >

> >| Change all references to 'stable' in /etc/apt/sources.list to 'testing'
> >| and run apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade.  You're now running
> >| Woody. :)
> >
> Hmmm.  Isn't it better to first change the sources list, then upgrade
> Perl, then upgrade apt, dpkg, etc, and then do a dist-upgrade?  Seems I
> have read that a blanket dist-upgrade from stable to testing is not as
> seamless as you suggest, but it has been awhile since I looked at this
> issue.
>
> Ed Lawson

This was posted by Dwarf on the devel list. Slighty edited for brevity.
http://www.polaris.net/~dwarf/

snip
2. Before doing the upgrade, but after an 'apt-get update', first do:

         apt-get install apt dpkg apt-utils

   Lots of stuff gets removed at this stage, probably because of
   dependencies on libraries that have to be upgraded for apt and dpkg.
   Best I can tell, these all get "repaired" later in the upgrade.

   I've added apt-utils to this pre-upgrade list because debconf
complains
   that it isn't installed otherwise, and fails to do its thing.

3. Now an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' is possible, but when the smoke clears
it
   is still necessary to do 'apt-get -f install' to clean up some minor
   messes.

4. snip
  Second: For obvious reasons, xserver-svga is upgraded, but
          xserver-xfree86 is not installed. This is expected and easy to
          deal with.

This pretty much describes a couple of my upgrades.
--
Greg C. Madden
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0