Re: How to Upgrade from Potato to Woody?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 08:58:35AM -0600, David Bell wrote:

| On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 08:44, Liam Black wrote:
| > I'm currently running potato 2.2.19, and looking to upgrade to Woody. Is
| > there a simplistic way to do this with apt / dpkg? I'm a newbie, and have
| > been spending my time learning about the desktop much moreso than tackling
| > the meat of the system... but that's what I'm attempting to do, now.
| >
| > So if anybody can help me with this, it'd be appreciated.
|
| Absolutely. :)
|
| Change all references to 'stable' in /etc/apt/sources.list to 'testing'
| and run apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade.  You're now running
| Woody. :)

After you do that,
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.17-386
(or whichever flavor suits your hardware)

and update your boot loader to load it.  Some hints : you'll need to
use an initrd, add 'ide-cdrom' and 'ide-floppy' to /etc/modules and
add 'apm=on' to the kernel command line.  If you want more details on
those, either RTFM (archives, google, etc) and/or ask, but include
some particulars of your system (eg, what bootloader do you use?,
where is /boot?).

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build