Setting up a linux network

Hello!

I want to know, what can i do to have a linux network equivalent to
a windows one? This meaning, here at my college, the computer
lab network is made of a number of win2k PCs, anyone can sit
down at any terminal, login with his user/pass, and the network
loads automatically his profile, home directory,etc.
The users save their files to their mapped network drive, that
resides phisically at the server.

So far the linux network we made is up and running, the pcs can
ping eachother... but now what is there to do so we can do all of
the above? Any links, man files i should check, anything?

Thanks!
Camilo