Re: Internet sharing with linux and windows 2000

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Iv=E1n_Filpo?= <icafilma@oceanfree.net> writes:

> My brother has windows 2000 pro on his computer and i have linux on mine. I
> dont have a linux modem.
>
> So I want to be able to use the internet from my brothers.
>
> Using his computer as gateway to the internet.
>

> is this possible ?. If it is tell me what to do please because i have tried
> route add default gw ip eth0 and ifconfig eth0 ip and i have the ip fine.
>
> Please reply as soon as possible , thanks

If Win2k has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), then yes it is possible.

You might consider reading the help information on your brothers win2k
machine about ICS, but here's a brief explanation of how to do it:

Make sure your brother has ICS installed and running
(in Win98, you do:

Settings->Control Panel->Network->Ethernet Card

Bind the ethernet card to TCP/IP (home) to Internet Connection
Sharing.

This should cause the windows machine to impliment it's dhcp server,
so provided you have a dhcp client on your machine (such as pump,
dhcpcd, or dchp-client), your networking should be configured
automally.

Further, to do it on boot:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# Ethernet0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

but if you want a static ip on your machine in your home then find out
what your brother's ethernet card's ip address is
(e.g. 192.168.1.1). Turn on ICS (also see Settings->Control
Panel->Internet Options->Connections [Tabular]->Sharing [Button]),
then set your ip address to something within the 192.168.1.X network,
e.g.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
(or something like that)
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

and fix your /etc/resolv.conf
cat > /etc/resolv.conv