Re: Swap space

Charles Baker, 2002-Feb-24 13:26 -0800:
> I'm about to install sid, using unoffical iso's, on a
> machine w/ 384MB of RAM. Old rule of thumb was
> 2*RAM-SIZE = SWAP-SIZE . Do I really need 768MB of
> swap space?!?!?! Plus, since the install uses 2.2.20
> kernel, will it be able to handle a swap space larger
> than 128MB?

The swap size will depend on what you're using the system for.
For a workstation/desktop type of system, I've always done 128MB
swaps and when the RAM size goes above 128, I match the RAM and
swap size.

For a system serving an active website, dns, dhcpd, ftp, etc.,
which will have a minimum of 128MB (for me), I'll double the size
of RAM for swap.

This has worked for me so far...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer