Re: Swap space

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 15:49, Jeff wrote:
> The swap size will depend on what you're using the system for.
> For a workstation/desktop type of system, I've always done 128MB
> swaps and when the RAM size goes above 128, I match the RAM and
> swap size.

Of course, this largely depends on what you are using the workstation
for and how memory hoggish the apps are.  Another thing you can look at
is swapd.  It generates swap files as needed.  I use it on my machines
since I rarely go over my physical ram, but I want swap space available
just in case I do.  My laptop has 256M of RAM, but only a 10G hard
drive, so I don't really want to waste any hard drive space to a largely
unused swap partition.

Caleb

--
Question: Is it better to abide by the rules until they're changed or
help speed the change by breaking them?