Re: Mail clients (and text editors)

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:00:15PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:05:13 -0800 Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > begin  moseley@bumby.hank.org  quotation:
> >
> > > Is there a debian package for Sylpheed?
> >
> > Yes, in Woody and Sid.
> >
> > > BTW -- why would using an X mail application exclude you from also
> > > running mutt?
> >
> > It's not so much "prevented" as "made sufficiently painful". I tried
> > using Sylpheed and mutt together several months ago, and at that time it
> > did not work well because Sylpheed and mutt used incompatible ways of
> > indicating that a message has been read. I would read messages in one
> > program, then run the other and see all those messages still marked as
> > new. That was too annoying for words, considering the amount of mail I
> > get every day. So, since I need a non-X MUA for ssh sessions from remote
> > locations over slow connections, I just stopped using Sylpheed.
>
> Interesting.  Is there a Standard Way of indicating that MH mails
> have been read?

I believe nmh uses .mh_sequences or some such.  So, that would probably
be the "standard" way.  Sylpheed uses it's own sequence file, so it
won't even jibe with the mh way of managing mail.  This is something
the Sylpheed folks should fix.  I tried to get gkrellm to watch my
mailboxes when using sylpheed, but it never worked because of this.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>