Re: Howto change ownership of device under devfs

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 01:12:22PM +0100, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> Umm.. this actually brings me to a question: I upgraded my kernel to
> 2.4.17 from 2.2.something, and after a while found a complaint from
> noflushd that I had a devfs-enabled kernel, but devfs wasn't on, and
> so it wouldn't start. I would have expected 'the right thing' to
> happen automatically. Should it?

Hmmm.  When you said that you upgraded to 2.4.17 kernel, did you mean
that you installed the pre-compiled 2.4.17 kernel package from the
debian mirror site, or that you compiled one yourself?  If you compiled
it yourself, then you would have had to select devfs and also selected
to make it enable at boot.  If however, you got the deb kernel package
from the debian mirror site, then maybe devfs was not selected to enable
at boot?????  I am not sure.  But you can check by taking a look at the
config file for the kernel package in /boot.

> To clarify, it would have been nice if either the kernel package had
> turned on devfs on its own (after asking, of course), or told me I
> might want to do that.

Yes.  I agree.  But it would be interesting to check if the config file
shows that devfs was selected but not enabled at boot to be sure.

I have never used any of the 2.4 kernel packages from the debian
mirrors.  The only 2.4 kernels I have used, I have compiled myself.  And
I always remember selecting devfs and also selecting to make it enable
at boot.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Mark.