upgrading debian 2.1

I've got a machine on my local network that I've installed 2.1 on (I
tried to install 2.2 from a cd on which I had burned a d/l iso but this
machine can't read the cd. The machine I burned it on has no problem
reading it.)

Anyway, I installed apt and dpkg from the upgrade directory on the
2.2 cd but when I run 'apt-get update' it can't resolve ftp.debian.org.

nslookup resolves it. ftp connects. nsftp connects.

Why is apt-get's problem?

--
"Once the principle of government -- judicial monopoly and the power
 to tax -- is incorrectly accepted as just, any notion of restraining