Help with printing

I have been trying to get my Canon BJC-4000 running, with no success.  CUPS
doesn't work, despite some assistance form this list.  Printtool tells me
that I do not have parport compiled into the kernel, which is not the case
(yes, I verified that it appears in dmesg, and I had my old dot-matrix
printer running just fine before this started).

I'm beginning to think I have a hardware problem with the port itself,
though there may be some software issue that I am missing.

Is there a diagnostic (I've been searching through Google and a couple of
manuals I have without success) that will verify whether my parallel port
is actually functional?

Does anyone have an idea what may be holding up progress?

TIA

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.