Re: Help with printing

* Cam Ellison (camellison@dccnet.com) spake thusly:
> I have been trying to get my Canon BJC-4000 running, with no success.  CUPS
> doesn't work, despite some assistance form this list.  Printtool tells me
> that I do not have parport compiled into the kernel, which is not the case
> (yes, I verified that it appears in dmesg, and I had my old dot-matrix
> printer running just fine before this started).
>
> I'm beginning to think I have a hardware problem with the port itself,
> though there may be some software issue that I am missing.
>
> Is there a diagnostic (I've been searching through Google and a couple of
> manuals I have without success) that will verify whether my parallel port
> is actually functional?

cat somefile > /dev/lp0. Can you get your old dot-matrix printer
to work? If yes, I'd try rebuilding cups from source. If not, I'd
try to fiddle with BIOS settings, kernel boot options and different
kernel versions. It looks like the problem you're having is very
uncommon, so it's likely you won't find a ready-made fix anywhere
(unless you're making some silly "too obvious" misteak somewhere).
Did you read printing howto? -- it had lots of useful info back when
(dunno what's in there now).

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Go forth and multiply".                                         -- Paul Martin