Re: Exim configuration

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:19:30AM -0800, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, R.Pac wrote:
>
> > how do I configure Exim with eximconfig if  I'm behind a firewall ? is

[snip]

> system, I'd also recommend adding this after you run eximconfig to
> /etc/exim/exim.conf (you'll see where it goes if you look)
>
> <exim.conf>
>
> # Exim contains support for the Realtime Blocking List (RBL) that is being
> # maintained as part of the DNS. See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for
> # background. Uncommenting the following line will make Exim reject mail
> # from any host whose IP address is blacklisted in the RBL at maps.vix.com.
>
> rbl_hosts = !192.168.0.0/24
> rbl_domains = relays.ordb.org:inputs.orbz.org:orbs.dorkslayers.com:relays.osirusoft.com:spews.relays.osirusoft.com:dialups.mail-abuse.org:postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org:dsn.rfc-ignorant.org:bl.spamcop.net
> rbl_reject_recipients = true
> rbl_warn_header = false

If I am reading this correctly. This does not log info about blocked
messages. I find that a lot of IP addresses in dynamic IP pools for
dialups are listed in various RBL databases. It's sort of like a
lottery if your ISP assigns you a dynamic IP. Some days no problem, and
some days everything you send is blocked as spam. Surprise, surprise,
one day when I checked what my spam filter was blocking, I found my
lover's emails--not really something I want blocked. Another day my
son's emails were spam. Personally, I prefer to dump spam into a folder
that I can check periodically to see what got blocked that shouldn't
have.

--
Jerome