Re: [OT] Price / performance & Software RAID / Hardware RAID / IDE/ SCSI

O Polite wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 02:16, Alvin Oga wrote:
>
> > if you can write data to /dev/hda1  in 5 seconds...
> > writing to striped raid0 will be say 7-10 seconds...
> Why is this? I thoght the point of raid0 was to write to all drives in
> parallell.

It is[1].  You trade increased performance (compared to non-raided
disks) for the cost of higher probability  of hardware failure.  (raid0
means any disk dies, the entire stripe set is lost).
  For more details use google or just click
	http://www.kintronics.com/raidwpaper.htm

As for the page
	http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

I miss 3Ware's Escalade-cards, who as far as I know was the first and/or
best TRUE ide/ata raid cards supported in linux, no?
	http://www.3ware.com/index.shtml

[1]  Assumed that they are not on the same bus OR that the bus can hadle
it properly (which I _think_ so far only scsi can).

Regards,
	Emil