Spamassassin, fetchmail, exim, and system resource issues

I've been running spamassassin on several boxes (home and work) over the
past few weeks.  It rocks.  Completely replaced my own procmail spam
detection recipies.

The problem I'm having as a dialup user is when I pull mail
periodically.  With several hundred emails stacked up, I can readily run
into user process limits (256 processes per user) while handling mail.

My system uses:

  - fetchmail (run daemonized from /etc/fetchmailrc on one system, run
    manually on another) to pull mail from a POPD server.

  - exim for local delivery.

  - procmail for filtering

  - spamassassin, as part of the procmail filters

  - ricochet, a reporting script, for reporting highly-rated spam
    automatically.

My typical process load is ~120-130 processes, single user, on the box.

When pulling mail, I'll see the system spike to 350 or more processes.
It appears that each mail delivery initiates a separate exim process
(which I hadn't expected) and procmail process (this I had).

Looking through references, it appears I can recompile my kernel to
increase user limits (defaults appear to be 512 processes, max 256 per
user, which seems low these days).  I believe threaded apps (e.g.:
Java) run into similar issues.

I'd also think I should be able to tweak my configurations with
fetchmail and/or exim such that fewer processes are spawned, or they are
spread out over a longer time (with a lower peak process load).

Wondering who else is seeing similar issues and how they're tackling
them.

Peace.