From: Alec [mailto:alec1976nyc@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 1:21 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org; debian-testing@lists.debian.org
Subject: I don't want sshd

Hi

On one of my Debian boxes, I need ssh, but no sshd. I especially don't want
to RUN sshd. I achieve this by stopping the daemon and removing all symlinks

to /etc/init.d/ssh in /etc/rc?.d/. However, every time ssh package gets
upgraded, I get those symlinks back and sshd restarted. To me, it is a
security concern, since unintended net services are run. Wouldn't it be
better to break ssh and sshd into two separate packages? Right know, at
least
in Woody, sshd is part of ssh.

Thanks
Alec