Shutdown script for nut to shutdown a ups

Can someone help me with something related to ups setup?  I was trying
to setup the shutdown command properly and was reading through the
nut-doc/shutdown.txt file and found this:
-------------- snip --------------------
2. Edit your shutdown scripts to check for that flag file and then call
   your UPS support program to do the dirty work.  Something like this
   should work on most systems.  Change the paths to suit your setup:

if (test -f /etc/powerdown)
then
  echo "Killing the power, bye!"
  /usr/local/ups/bin/apcsmart -k /dev/ttyS0
fi

   This file may be /etc/rc.d/rc.0, /etc/shutdown, or something else.
   Consult a guru for your OS/distribution if you're not sure.
-------------- snip ----------------------

In debian, it seems that there is no shutdown script.  The file
/sbin/shutdown is a binary file.

I already have the following in my upsmon.conf file:
MONITOR SOLA-520-750VA@localhost 1 mypassword master
MINSUPPLIES 1
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
POLLFREQ 5
POLLFREQALERT 5
HOSTSYNC 15
DEADTIME 15
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/nut/killpower

This seems to work, 'cause it did shutdown my computer when the power failed.
However, the computer did not come back online when the power returned.  I
think this is because I didn't configure the shutdown "script" to check for
the existance of that /etc/nut/killpower file and run something like this:
/usr/local/ups/bin/bestups -k /dev/ttyS1

How do you go about configuring shutdown for a ups in debian?

Do other people have success with their ups coming back online when the power
returns?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.
Mark.