Re: Dont install suggested and recommended packages with apt-get?

On Feb 20 09:56, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * John Ericson (john@john.pp.se) [020220 08:49]:
> > When Im doing an 'apt-get install reportbug' it wants to install packages
> > that is using 'Recommends' and 'Suggests' depending, but I want it to only
>
> Mine doesn't. People have complained such things about dselect, but
> apt-get doesn't automatically install 'Recommends'ed or 'Suggests'ed
> packages.
>
> > install packages that it absolutly needs (Such as with the 'Depends'
> > depending). How can I do this with the apt-get command-line tool?
> >
> > Excerpt from 'apt-cache show reportbug':
> > Depends: python
> > Recommends: python-newt
> > Suggests: postfix | mail-transport-agent, gnupg | pgp, python-ldap (>= 1.8-1)
>
> what do these show:
>
> dpkg -l reportbug python-newt python-ldap
> apt-get -s install reportbug
>
> (I just want to see what packages you already have and which apt-get
> will try to install. The -s flag to apt-get tells it to just tell you
> what it would do without actually doing it.)

Im having a stable system which I just uppgraded apt on to be able to
install selected packages from testing as described on
'http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/1/mail'.

Here is output from my apt when Im doing 'apt-get install
reportbug/testing':
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selected version 1.42 (Debian:testing) for reportbug
  exim libdb3 pgp python-base reportbug
  exim libdb3 pgp python-base reportbug
0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 2071kB of archives. After unpacking 5619kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

'dpkg -l reportbug python-newt python-ldap' gives:
pn  reportbug      <none>         (no description available)
pn  python-newt    <none>         (no description available)
pn  python-ldap    <none>         (no description available)

--
* John Ericson john@john.pp.se
* ICQ: 7325429 JID: high@jabber.org