Re: partial upgrade confusion

* Remy Indebetouw (remy@astro.wisc.edu) [020220 09:26]:
> I have potato but libc6 (and a couple of other things, I think
> binutils) from woody.  I need lib6c-dev, but want as little
> else as possible.  I tried pointing my sources.list at woody, running
> apt-get upgrade,and apt-get install libc6-dev.  It wants to do a lot of

Also, if you get only one thing from woody, let it be apt. You should
set yourself up with a nice /etc/apt/preferences to make running a
hybrid (potato/woody) system MUCH easier to maintain.

> Why do all these other packages depend on libc6-dev?  (as opposed to
> libc6)

Not the case; see below.

> >apt-get install libc6-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   debconf debconf-utils debhelper dialog dpkg-dev esound esound-common
> freeciv
>   gnome-games-locale html2text imlib-base libart2 libbonobo2 libbz2-1.0
> libc6
  ^^^^^
there's the rub.

dpkg -s libc6-dev | grep "Version\|Depends"
Version: 2.2.5-3
Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-3)

The -dev depends on the libc6 package, which in turn wants to upgrade
*everything* else.

Not sure what to recommend to you in your situation. You could install a
minimal woody system in a chroot, but there are probably better ways.
List?

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/