Re: main conf file

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 22:45, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just a comment now.
> I love Debian, i really do but i has one major lack.
> I'm talking about a main rc file like the rc.config on SuSE. In this file

> I don't understand why this isn't implemented in Debian bcause it would be so
> easy.

Debian has a directory of such config files, located in /etc/rc.config.d
And this is much better manageble then 1 big config file for all
packages (and debian has lots more then any other distro). Also in
debian these config files are placed by the packages (just like used
user accounts are created on package install) unlike in Suse where these
are pre-placed (and users created etc) in the base-install.

I myself consider the debian way a LOT cleaner and better manageble.
and I hope it stays this way, (I use suse at work... it sucks).

If you don't want something started then you can probably tell dpkg to
only install it, and not yet configure it (man dpkg, man apt*) or just
shut it down after installing (man update-rc).

--
Mark Janssen     Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @
SyConOS IT