Re: main conf file

Raffaele Sandrini <rasa@gmx.ch> writes:
> I have just a comment now.  I love Debian, i really do but i has one
> major lack.  I'm talking about a main rc file like the rc.config on
> SuSE. In this file should be informations wherer deamons/services
> should be started or not. That is necessary because, as strang it
> sounds, there is no reason that i use a package when i install it.

Most packages have the client and server separated out into separate
packages; if you don't want to run, say, a MySQL server, you can
generally get away with just not installing the mysql-server package.

> I don't understand why this isn't implemented in Debian bcause it
> would be so easy.

Does the file-rc package do what you want?

> I started now to add such options bymyself such as for mysql. There
> i have a "START_MYSQL=NO" in a /etc/rc.conf file and the init script
> checks if that is set.

There's starting to be a convention of putting that sort of
configuration into files in /etc/default.  Also, if you don't want to
start a particular service in particular circumstances, you can
manually frob the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d to control what gets started
in which runlevel.

	-- Abra Mitchell