Re: ide-scsi

I haven't been following this thread from the beginning so
if I'm totally on the wrong track please ignore my comment.

If you have ide-cd support in your kernel either built-in, or
as a module you must tell the ide-cd driver to keep off the
unit you want to use with ide-scsi.
I also think that if you have support for both drivers, they
must either both be compiled into the kernel, or both be
loadable modules (at least I couldn't get it to work any other way).
If they are loadable modules you do it with module options and
if they are build-in you must give appropriate boot parameters.
You can get more details in the "CD-Writing-HOWTO". There is
also a "CD-Writing with an ATAPI CDR Mini-HOWTO"

On my woody system (kernel 2.4.17) I have
one ide cd/dvd-reader connected to /dev/hdb
and one ide cd-reader/writer connected to /dev/hdc.
Both ide-cd and ide-scsi are loadable modules.
In the /etc/modules file I have the lines:

  options ide-cd ignore=hdc
  ide-scsi
  alias scd0 sr_mod
  pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi
  pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

I can access the the cd/dvd-reader (that uses the ide-cd driver) as /dev/hdb
and the cd-reader/writer (that uses the ide-scsi driver) as /dev/scd0

Hope this helps,

/Leif                                   lthuresson@rsasecurity.com