Re: OT: cdburning: tao, dao and fixating

* Sebastiaan (S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to burn CD's with cdrecord, but I have a problem. I can burn an iso
> image (made with isofs) to a blank disc, but when the disc gets fixated, I
> directly get an error of the form 'Illegal Seek Error' or 'Segment not
> found'.
>
> The idea I have of buring in track at once is:
> - burn track by track starting from the center of the disc
> - when fixating, go back to the center and write some final data
>
> On the other hand, disk at once:
> - just start at the center and burn in one trip
>

> Because the drive is pretty old, I have the idea that the laser
> calibration is not very good anymore. So when the disc gets fixated, the
> drive is unable to find the precise location to burn. Sometimes it works
> correct (i.e. the disc gets fixated), and sometimes it fails. I have not
> found any regularity in it.

  I have an HP 7500 (2x2x24) and ran into the same problem. No amount of
fiddling with it helped, so I got a new burner as they are pretty cheap
nowadays. I'd be interested in hearing if you found a way around it as I
still keep the old burner in an older machine.

Alex.