Re: Problem installing Intel 810 video under debian

begin  Rahul Agarwal  quotation:

> I spent this weekend trying to setup my new linux box using debian. Well
> I ran into a lot of problems biggest of which I haven't been able to
> solve until now - i810 motherboard which has integrated video and sound.
> Apparently, there is no built in support for the motherboard from either
> debian or Xfree86. However, doing a couple of searches I found that it
> is possible to use the video from the card working. I downloaded the
> driver from the intel's website which were available in both rpms and
> the tars. I tried using the tar as per the instructions from the
> ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/1641/ENG/Release%20Notes.htm
> however it gave me errors saying it was not a valid file. I tried
> downloading it again but with no success. Then I tried using the rpms
> using the alien package. But it gave me errors saying that glibc 2.0
> which is required is not installed. I did a dselect and found that all
> the libc5 and libc6 libraries were installed and there was no other C
> library that might have helped. I read some other articles which talked
> about building the kernel instead of taking 3rd party support. I tried
> to follow those but with no success.

You don't mention which Debian branch you're using -- I suspect it must
be stable (Potato), because you shouldn't be having this problem with
the testing or unstable branches.

I went through all this about a year ago when trying to get an
i810-based machine to work with Debian. At the same time, though, I
noticed that the stable branch is very out of date, and didn't have
recent versions of many software packages that I wanted to use. After
failing to get the Intel i810 xserver for XFree86 3.3 to work, I ended
up solving both problems by migrating to the testing branch (Woody),
which has XFree86 4, which supports the i810 out of the box. (Actually,
I have since migrated to the unstable branch, Sid, which I find to be
quite functional 99% of the time -- every so often someone uploads a bad
package, but it's pretty rare.)

This isn't quite the answer you were hoping for, of course, but I think
it's the best option.

Craig