Woody + Alsa and ESS1869, the saga continues

Alright, I'm getting closer.

Recap:  I managed to build a custom kernel with enough hooks to re-load my
ethernet module (only took 10 attempts!)  I found that to get the RTL 8139
modules to work I needed to prompt for experimental parts of the 2.2.x
kernel to get RTL8139 support, and to check off support for the RTL8139
card.  Then to get DHCLIENT to work, I had to compile with CONFIG_FILTER and
CONFIG_SOCKET, but *NOT* with the kernel DHCP options!!  (I had clumsily
compiled DHCP support into the kernel...)

Once I did ALL that, I had my network back.  The first thing I did was
apt-get and jump to the packaged 2.4.15 kernel 8-)  (Whee, unstable!)

Now, I spent a few days trying to get my ESS1869 card to work.  I chose to
install ALSA, and used alsaconf to set it up.  However, the only way I get
the card to work is by running the command "modprobe snd-card-es18xx".  ALSA
is already running, so now alsaplayer works.  The mixer settings are all OK.

After I reboot, the card is not seen.  (When the /etc/init.d/alsa start
decalres "no cards found")  But it will be seen if I run "modprobe
snd-card-es18xx".

How do I get it to be seen at boot time?  I could go hack something into
/etc/rc(mumble) but there has to be a "Right Way" that I am overlooking.

Finally, once it is running, none of the GNOME sounds play.  I can play the
sound files through alsaplayer, but cannot figure out how to make GNOME play
its sounds through ALSA.

What am I missing?