Re: Woody + Alsa and ESS1869, the saga continues

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 04:47:47PM -0800, Phillip Remaker wrote:
> [[ recap omitted ]]
>
> Now, I spent a few days trying to get my ESS1869 card to work.  I chose to
> install ALSA, and used alsaconf to set it up.  However, the only way I get
> the card to work is by running the command "modprobe snd-card-es18xx".  ALSA
> is already running, so now alsaplayer works.  The mixer settings are all OK.
>
> After I reboot, the card is not seen.  (When the /etc/init.d/alsa start
> decalres "no cards found")  But it will be seen if I run "modprobe
> snd-card-es18xx".
>
> How do I get it to be seen at boot time?  I could go hack something into
> /etc/rc(mumble) but there has to be a "Right Way" that I am overlooking.

Adding a line /etc/modules would make sure that it gets loaded at boot
time. Or consider making it part of the kernel, rather than a module.

If you rather would want it loaded (and unloaded) "on demand", then you
could create a file in /etc/modutils (e.g. named "sound") containing:
    alias sound-slot-0 your-module-name
    alias sound-service-0 your-module-name
    alias /dev/mixer your-module-name

and run update-modules. (I'm not sure that the 2nd line is necessary
though. Or perhaps you need to include /dev/dsp too...).

After which the kernel should automagicially load the module whenever
something wants to do sound.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen