Re: postgres upgrade for dummies?

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <dm@zensunni.demon.nl> writes:

> Switch back to the pg_hba.conf file you used with 6.5. 7.1 has a new
> authentication method "peer" which 6.5 doesn't understand and which 7.1's
> default configuration employs IIRC.

This helped. Thanks. But now I have a new problem: The encoding of my
database is latin1. During the upgrade with "postgresql-dump -t db.out
-dcivlp $PGDATA/../data.save" the screen dump looked fine (all umlauts
were correctly displayed). But now instead of the umlauts I have some
strange combination of letters and signs. My name becomes for instance
G(Hlaele.

Listing the databases with \l shows the correct encoding LATIN1 and
also the ordering as according to the German rules.

Any solution to that?

Thanks again!

Andreas Goesele