Re: A question about LCD flat panel displays

* stan (stanb@awod.com) spake thusly:
> I'm contemplating purchasing an LCD flat panel disply for use on the new
> Debain woody workstation I am building for my wife.

ITYM TFT.

> Having never used one of these before, and since they are failry expensive,
> I thought I would ask some advice of this list.
>
> We do a lot of work in console mode, in addition to some work in X. Will
> I be able to use all of the framebuffer functiosn on this disply? I
> presently use xawtv in the console mode, fbi to display graphics, and have
> a custom resolutinon set up for the console sessiosn. Will all of these
> work with the LCD flat panel?

I have a 15" and 17" TFTs at work. For me 15" is not enough scren real
estate to use X, so that box runs in 1024x768 framebuffer console. The
only problem with that is that it's noticeably slow in high-colour
(> 256) modes; on 256-colour framebuffer fbi fails to render high-colour
images (but this has nothing to do with the screen being TFT).

17" works fine with KDE and true type fonts (anti-aliasing helps a bit,
too). All TFT screens I've seen come with EDID, so X v.4 works on them
automagically.

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Fornicate Off And Decease".                                 -- Rik Steenwinkel