Re: postgres upgrade for dummies?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:38:52 +0100, Andreas Goesele wrote:
> I now did a new try, again without any success. The automatic
> upgrading process first looks promising but than ends with the
> following error message:

> You are now connected to database template1 as user user.
> create database user;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "user"

"user" is a reserved word in 7.1. Either rename the database before
upgrading to 7.1, or do the upgrade by hand and edit the database, putting
double quote marks around the occurances of "user" as a database name.

> So I did read README.Debian.migration.gz and then run postgresql-dump
> with the options in the README. This is what I got:
>
> Stopping and restarting the postmaster
> /usr/lib/postgresql/dumpall/6.5/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgres/data  -p 5431 -o -d0
> Dumping the database to db.out
> process_hba_record: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file

Switch back to the pg_hba.conf file you used with 6.5. 7.1 has a new
authentication method "peer" which 6.5 doesn't understand and which 7.1's
default configuration employs IIRC.

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch