Re: booting with no keyboard or moue

Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> writes:

> > > 2) Bring a keyboard, plug it in, boot, remove the keyboard (but
> > >    hopefully you have a UPS).
> >
> I heard on this list that this may cause hardware damage.  I had
> several accident of unplugging KB and no problem afterward. (I was
> not on Compaq but generic MB)

I don't understand how it could possibly cause hardware damage.  The
only problem is if the power goes off and you're not around; if they
keyboard isn't plugged in when it tries to reboot, it will just hang.
(I even tested if it timed out after a long period of time but it did
not [older 486 Compaq]).

> > > 3) There are little devices ($50?) that allow you to hook up
> > >    more than one machine to one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse -
> > >    you select which one you want to use with a button on the
> > >    device. Use it.
> >

> Just curios, if plugging PS2 mouse will do or not.  That is cheaper
> and space efficient. :)

Turns out they're called KVM's and the cheaper ones are around $100 at
Fry's. I believe I tried the PS2 trick but it did not work either.

Elizabeth