Re: booting with no keyboard or moue

"Mike Millner" <mike@mikeshome.com> writes:

> Is it a function of the hardware bios or the OS to be able to boot
> without a keyboard or mouse? I have a Debian Potato system that is
> up and running. I want to be able to boot the system with no
> keyboard or mouse plugged in. I SSH to it when I need to check it or
> do anything.

BIOS. Some BIOS' (notably the older Compaq's) halt on Boot if it can't
find a keyboard (but if you plug in a monitor it says something like
"Press F1 to Configure, F2 to continue"). To the best of my knowledge
this is unconfigurable for these older Compaq's.

> If it is hardware anyone know where I can get a dummy mouse and
> dummy keyboard?

I looked for these in the past and I don't recall finding anything (or
if I did it was above my budget). Your options are rather limited if
your BIOS errors with no keyboard installed:

1) Purchase a $5 keyboard at the store, plug it in, boot, leave
   the keyboard plugged in and walk off.
2) Bring a keyboard, plug it in, boot, remove the keyboard (but
   hopefully you have a UPS).
3) There are little devices ($50?) that allow you to hook up
   more than one machine to one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse -
   you select which one you want to use with a button on the
   device. Use it.

I generally just go with No. 1.

Elizabeth