Re: garbled chars in mutt

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:23:33AM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
> On 2002-02-16 22:11:04, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> > Use a different font for your terminal (want one with graphic
> > characters, like the default X fixed font).
>
> I switched to -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1
> and unchecked the "Enable multibyte support" in gnome-terminal which
> gave me back the missing non-ascii chars but the threaded overview is
> still somewhat broke.   Am I correct in assuming that unicode and mutt
> don't quite go along?

It may be mutt doesn't really support unicode chars, or it may be that
the gnome-terminal doesn't really support it.  I tend to think that
there's a good chance of gnome-terminal being the culprit, since I
know that most GNOME programs do not handle multibyte or unicode
characters (this is corrected with the new libes, but few apps are
ported yet).  Could also be mutt doesn't handle the characters
correctly as well.

You might experiment with an 8859-? encoding, since they're guaranteed
to only be eight bit wide characters.  This stuff is a bit of a mess,
but the future looks pretty good with UTF-8.  It'll just be a while
'til it's widely supported.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>