Re: OT: kvm alternatives? (was: booting with no keyboard or moue)

On 16 Feb 2002, Alex Malinovich wrote:

>Pardon me for a hideously off-topic question here, but does anyone know
>of any cheap alternatives to getting a KVM for home use? I've got 3 PC's
>tucked away under my desk, as well as a Sega Dreamcast that I connect my
>monitor and my keyboard to, and none of them care about whether they're
>started up with or without these devices or whether the devices are
>plugged in afterwards. So, for me, there's no benefit in getting a KVM
>for $500+ when I'm sure that there's a "quick and dirty" solution
>available somewhere. I've scoured the net to no avail. (I'm not an
>engineer, but how hard can it be to have a switch go from one input to 4
>outputs?)

What function is your DreamCast playing (Games? Or have you hacked it to
do something else?)

Do any of the computer not require a console? You can use a serial console
to do that, if thats the case.

Otherwise, there are no other alternatives.

$500 is very steep (I'm assuming you mean US dollars), for a four-port
KVM, you can do better, I'm sure (I'm in New Zealand, I can get them for
about that in NZ dollars, about 250 US.

Cameron Kerr
--
cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz