Re: lilo problems

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 06:51:23PM -0500, Peter McConnell wrote:

> As a new debian User ie 48 hours I am having trouble with the
> configuration of lilo.
> I installed a 2.2r3 version of debian and imediately down loaded the
> 2.4.16
> binary.
> The configuration tool said I am going to add a new block for your to
> lilo but you will have to add initrd=/initrd to lilo.conf
>
> I have been buggerising around for a day trying to add this line to my
> lilo.conf to boot in with the 2.4.16 image for a day all the how,to seem
> to be before the 2.4 kernel. and the red-hat lilo doesnt have this
> initred line in it.
>
> lba32
> boot=/dev/hdc2

should this be 'boot=dev/hdc'?

> root=/dev/hdc2
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
>   message=/boot/bootmess.txt
>  	prompt
> 	delay=100
> 	timeout=100
> vga=normal
>
> default=freedos
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>       label=Linux
>      	read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.16-[whatever_your_architecture]

or
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img

# where  initrd.img is symlink to /boot/initrd.img-2.4.16-[arch]

& if you want to use devfs mounted on /dev add:
        append="devfs=mount"

If you are using stock debian kernel-image package, you need to add
initrd line to lilo.conf. If you compile you own kernel image, you
don't need to use initrd.

> image=/vmlinuz.old
> 	label=LinuxOLD
> 	read-only