lilo problems

As a new debian User ie 48 hours I am having trouble with the
configuration of lilo.
I installed a 2.2r3 version of debian and imediately down loaded the
2.4.16
binary.
The configuration tool said I am going to add a new block for your to
lilo but you will have to add initrd=/initrd to lilo.conf

I have been buggerising around for a day trying to add this line to my
lilo.conf to boot in with the 2.4.16 image for a day all the how,to seem
to be before the 2.4 kernel. and the red-hat lilo doesnt have this
initred line in it.

lba32
boot=/dev/hdc2
root=/dev/hdc2