Monitor vertical refresh rate

Hi all,

Just installed Debain on my laptop.  It went well until it came to configuring x.  I have a Samsung VM6000 with an ATI Rage LT Pro PCI card and the monitor refresh rate is 60 Hertz under windows.

I chose the Mach64 server.

But it keep s saying there is no valid vertical refresh rate.  I use xserver-configure and it sets the vertical refresh rate to null for some reason.

Is there a conservative number I can manually enter in the XF86Config or is there an easier way to do all this?

Help appreciated.

Patrick