Re: Kernel 2.4, 8 megs of ram and kernel panic

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 09:23:30PM +0100, Grégory Karékinian wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I've been searching on google but found no way to boot a 2.4 kernel
| without initrd.

This is a snippet of the kernel configuration documentation :

~~~~~
Initial RAM disk (initrd) support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
  The initial RAM disk is a RAM disk that is loaded by the boot loader
  (loadlin or lilo) and that is mounted as root before the normal boot
  procedure. It is typically used to load modules needed to mount the
  "real" root file system, etc. See <file:Documentation/initrd.txt>
  for details.
~~~~~

Look at the config file for your kernel -- is CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
set to 'y'?  If it is, then you need an initrd.  The debian-packaged
kernels have this option set.  My kernel doesn't, so I don't need (in
fact, can't use) an initrd.

-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.