Re: Kernel 2.4, 8 megs of ram and kernel panic

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 07:40:53PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Gr?gory Kar?kinian <kare@lautre.net> wrote:
>
> > I understand the reason of this error (only 8 megs of ram on this
> > computer, but is is possible to boot a 2.4 kernel with 8 megs ?
> > (Making a smaller ramdisk ? Been searching on google, found out it's 4
> > megs by defaut... That's a lot).
>
> Yes, but you'll need to setup a custom initrd image.  Please refer to
> mkinitrd.conf(5) for details.

Do you really need to boot through initrd? A customized 2.4 kernel that
does not depend on initrd, should have no problems at all with 8 Mb, and
if you will go through and customize, then why not to do it as simple
as possible?

I might have missunderstood the uses of initrd, but I thought it was
most useful for general setups where hardware is unknown and other media
is not (easily) accessible, e.g new installations or booting over the network.