Re: ppp problems with strange log diagnostics

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:21:52PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen
patiently answered:

> [ snip...]
> ===
> All of these errors seem to point towards an unreliable modem
> connection. Perhaps you have noise on the phone line?
>
> Can you *hear* the modem when you dial up? (yep - that speaker is a
> *very* good diagnostic feature!).

Yes, I hear it very well.

>If they take a long time
> "handshaking", that's a clue. Especially if they handshare for some 45
> seconds and you end up with "NO CARRIER", as this means that the
> handshaking failed.

This is typically what happens very often.

> Noise on the line could also explain the "Modem hangup" errors.

This diagnostic is very convincing to me since this is
compatible with the very chaotic behaviour of my connection.
(Similarly, when I phone abroad, I can sometimes hardly
understand what is said whereas the link is sometimes very clear.)

So, let's suppose that I have noise on the phone line.
Can I do something ?

Laurent.