Re: ppp problems with strange log diagnostics

On Saturday 16 February 2002 11:51, Laurent EVAIN wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:21:52PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen
>
> patiently answered:
> > [ snip...]
> > ===
> > All of these errors seem to point towards an unreliable modem
> > connection. Perhaps you have noise on the phone line?
> >
> > Can you *hear* the modem when you dial up? (yep - that speaker is a
> > *very* good diagnostic feature!).
>
> Yes, I hear it very well.
>
> >If they take a long time
> > "handshaking", that's a clue. Especially if they handshare for some 45
> > seconds and you end up with "NO CARRIER", as this means that the
> > handshaking failed.
>
> This is typically what happens very often.
>
> > Noise on the line could also explain the "Modem hangup" errors.
>
> This diagnostic is very convincing to me since this is
> compatible with the very chaotic behaviour of my connection.
> (Similarly, when I phone abroad, I can sometimes hardly
> understand what is said whereas the link is sometimes very clear.)

One thing is to try to keep some type of log when the noise heard, i.e. rain
can cause 'bad' lines to act worse. This type of information can help your
line provider trace the problem. One of the first things you want to do is
eliminate parts of you line that you control, i.e. the wires inside your
house or location. I you have a way of connecting where the phone lines come
into you location, try connecting a phone there and see if you still hear the
noise same amount of noise. I say same amount of noise because modems are
less forgiving to noise then your ear, and just because you don't hear it,
the modem still might, but if it is clearer outside, you might want to look
at installing new lines from the outside to the location of the modem. You
want this to be a solid line with as few (none if posible) splices posible.
If the noise is still there, you should contact you phone provider and ask if
the can run checks. Some providers will have limits to the connection speed
they will support, but the fact that you are not able to connect, they should
be able to help you. Remember to check you inside lines first though, a lot
of companies are more the happy to run checks, but if the find that it is
your wiring, they are will charge you for the checks.

John