GTK Themes not working

I'm having a bit of a problem with GTK themes. When I install a theme
from a Debian package, everything works fine and the theme shows up
fine. However, if I download a theme and try to install it manually
(i.e. get a theme off of themes.org for example) only the colors get
applied. The widgets all remain the same. Is there some Debian-specific
behavior in regards to themes like there is with /usr/local etc? TIA. :)

-Alex