Re: HP Photosmart 715 (215) USB digital camera

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:36:58PM -0500, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have an update! afaik, the camera doesn't have any other usb
> settings... i was able to mount it, tho, with:
>
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cam -t usbdevfs

Oops, you need some help.

usbdevfs is a filesystem used to provide USB devices entry points (with
usb you don't create device files in /dev/ but simply mount this
filesystem).

In my /etc/fstab I have the following line:

none  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs devuid=0,devgid=102,devmode=0660 0 0

This line said that I want to mount automatically (at boot time) the usb
devives filesystem at the mount point /proc/bus/usb with the userid 0
the group id 102 and the mode 0660 (for all files in this filesystem).

Then when this filesystem is mounted you will see files appears when you
plug a device. These files are used by the userland tool to use you camera.

gphoto2 use the library libusb to access your usb device.

So you need to mount correctly usbdevfs, install gphoto2-2.0beta5 (which
is in sid now) and libusb0 (version >= 0.1.5) and then when you are ready
send me a mail.

You camera is not supported in the last beta but could be use with a
special option that we will determine together. If we succeed using your
camera then it will be easy to add it in the supported cameras list.

Christophe