Re: HP Photosmart 715 (215) USB digital camera

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:02:35PM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:
| I missed this thread but if you are looking for a program to use your
| digital camera under linux, have a look at gphoto2.
| The final gphoto2 release is soon to be releasedi. If your camera is not
| yet supported it's time to speak and your camera will be supported in the
| final release.
|
| For the HP photosmart 715, I've some hints that it could supported.
|
| TRY GPHOTO2 now. beta3 is in unstable. If it doesn't work tell me and
| I'm sure we can do something for your camera.
|
| Christophe
|

| On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:22:56PM -0500, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
| > >

| > >no, I just use konqueror, opens the 'disk' and edits the pictures from here
| > >with the gimp. I hope you'll succeed easily!
| > >Greetings from Denmark
| >

| > l?rdag den 26. januar 2002 00:02 skrev du:
| > > great!! thanks!
| > >
| > > btw, are you using gphoto? and if so, which camera model did you have to
| > > select in it?
| > >
| > > i can't wait to get home and try it again!

| > > |

| > <-- snip -->
| > hello again.
| >
| > i've finally had a chance to play with my camera. i used modconf to load
| > usb_core and usb_storage... and also scsi_mod. that went well. usb-uhci
| > failed (device or resorce busy.... irq... ". so, since i was running out
| > of time, i tried inserting usb-ohci instead of usb-uhci. that worked
| > supposedly. i think after that the camera's lcd finally said "pc" -
| > until then it didn't. i took a look in /proc/scsi/scsi and didn't see
| > anything. gphoto --list-cameras didn't give me any output. i tried
| > configuring gphoto while it was running... it gave me ttys1-4 (serial
| > ports?) or other. i thought to choose other and use /dev/usb but
| > /dev/usb is a directory with a lot of stuff!
| >
| > Claus, you said you use konqueror to browse the files and open them with
| > gimp.... i'm curious to know what you are mounting to view them! if
| > you're clicking on an icon, could you take a look at the properties and
| > let me know the path and/or mount point?

<-- snip -->

okay,

i've tried it again. i can get as far as loading the modules, and the
"pc" being displayed in the camera's lcd. going on what claus said, i've
tried to mount it as a scsi device (i think).
when i first try "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cam" it tells me i must specify
the filesystem type. so, i added the "-t vfat" then it says "sda1 is not
a valid block device". according to dmesg (and syslog), the device is
being seen and assigned a number, but says it is not owned by any driver
or something to that effect. i've also tried sda2 and so on, as well as
sdb1 and so on. and i have added that line to fstab as claus suggested:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/kamera vfat user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,rw,noauto 0 0, and
also tried a few other devices that sda1.
this is my only "scsi device"... i'm used to ide devices ranging from
hda1 to hdc3!
when i am unable to mount the fs, both /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/bus/usb
are empty, if that helps.
i also have an ibm_pc_cam, which is usb and works fine with xawtv. i've
also tried using the hp_cam with or without the ibm_cam plugged in, just
in case!
Christophe, i have gphoto installed from woody (i think it's version 2),
but haven't tried it yet 'cause i don't know which port to specify the
camera is on, since it's usb and not serial.
what a sec.... i may not have gphoto2 installed, maybe just gphoto. i
will have to look into that - my box at home is offline, that's why
things take so long. i guess at this point i'm wondering if i'm mounting
it correctly as a scsi device, and if the fs is vfat on my specific
camera - the 215 using a compactflash card.
as always, i apreciate any advice for my to try!

thanks,
jason

| registered linux user #202942   |   http://counter.li.org/  |
| Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 Woody      |   2.4.16-k6               |
| jason@theigloo.dhs.org          |   http://theigloo.dhs.org |