From: "Jason M. Harvey" <jason@theigloo.dhs.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: HP Photosmart 715 (215) USB digital camera

okay,

i've tried it again. i can get as far as loading the modules, and the
"pc" being displayed in the camera's lcd. going on what claus said, i've
tried to mount it as a scsi device (i think).
when i first try "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cam" it tells me i must specify
the filesystem type. so, i added the "-t vfat" then it says "sda1 is not
a valid block device". according to dmesg (and syslog), the device is
being seen and assigned a number, but says it is not owned by any driver
or something to that effect. i've also tried sda2 and so on, as well as
sdb1 and so on. and i have added that line to fstab as claus suggested:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/kamera vfat
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,rw,noauto 0 0, and
also tried a few other devices that sda1.
this is my only "scsi device"... i'm used to ide devices ranging from
hda1 to hdc3!
when i am unable to mount the fs, both /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/bus/usb
are empty, if that helps.
i also have an ibm_pc_cam, which is usb and works fine with xawtv. i've
also tried using the hp_cam with or without the ibm_cam plugged in, just
in case!
Christophe, i have gphoto installed from woody (i think it's version 2),
but haven't tried it yet 'cause i don't know which port to specify the
camera is on, since it's usb and not serial.
what a sec.... i may not have gphoto2 installed, maybe just gphoto. i
will have to look into that - my box at home is offline, that's why
things take so long. i guess at this point i'm wondering if i'm mounting
it correctly as a scsi device, and if the fs is vfat on my specific
camera - the 215 using a compactflash card.
as always, i apreciate any advice for my to try!

thanks,
jason