Re: building mutt SSL deb package (configure error)

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:26:41AM -0800, Nick Jennings wrote:

> The README.Debian does _not_ contain this information.
>
> The only mention is:
>
>   To enable SSL support you need to install the libgcrypt1 and gnutls0
>   packages.
>
> NOW i can see what that means, but it would be nice if it was a
> bit clearer:

How much clearer could it get?  "To enable SSL support, you need to install
<packages>".  If you install <packages>, SSL support is enabled.  Maintainer
CC'd.

> I _assumed_ that when it said you need those packages it was
> reffering to them needing to be installed to compile mutt.
> (Since this is what you used to have to do to get SSL support in mutt).
>
> Of course now I see the mistake, it might avoid confusion of others
> who are used to the old way of doing this with mutt.

To that end, it could include a note reading "Unlike previous versions of
mutt, you do not need to rebuild the package to enable SSL."

> Also, in woody, the default mutt (1.3.27?) although is supposed to support
> SSL and is linked against gnutls0 does not work.  It gets an error trying
> to access some X509 method in the library at runtime with you add the ssl
> stuff in your muttrc

I can't speak to this; perhaps the maintainer can address it if you give
more details about the error.

--
 - mdz