building mutt SSL deb package (configure error)

 FYI - Please CC me in reponse, as I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks.

Hello,

 I am running woody (testing) and trying to get together a mutt-ssl
 package. I have read the README.Debian concerning this in the
 mutt package.

 I downloaded the source:

# apt-get source mutt

 Uncommented the appropriate like in the debian/rules file for SSL.
 Then, ran

# dpkg-buildpackage -b -mnick@namodn.com

 It came up with a list of dependencies (gnutls{-dev} being one of
 them). So I installed all of the required packages using dselect.
 However, the mutt version in woody (1.3.27) depends on gnutls
 v0.3.5, and woody's gnutls package is only at 0.2.x

 So I grabbed the sid package for gnutls & gnutls-dev and installed
 them with no additional dependencies. However, mutt still refuses
 to build, now I am getting an error about "Unable to find SSL library"
 when I have every dependency listed installed.

~/dev/deb-src/mutt/mutt-1.3.27# dpkg-buildpackage -b -mnick@namodn.com
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is mutt
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 1.3.27-2
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
<... snip ...>
checking where to put the documentation... /usr/share/doc
checking for socklen_t... yes
checking for gethostent... yes
checking for setsockopt... yes
checking for getaddrinfo... yes
checking for X509_new in -lcrypto... no
configure: error: Unable to find SSL library
make[1]: *** [source.command] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nick/dev/deb-src/mutt/mutt-1.3.27'
make: *** [debian/stampdir/configure] Error 2
~/dev/deb-src/mutt/mutt-1.3.27#

 Any ideas on what i'm missing in order to build mutt with SSL?
 Also, I'd like to know how to add an extension to the package
 name/version so that I can differentiate this package from the
 standard debian package, like:

* Package: mutt-ssl
  Section: non-US
  Installed-Size: 3376
* Maintainer: Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com>
* Version: 1.3.27-2_ssl
? Replaces: mutt-i
  Provides: mail-reader
? Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20010310-1), libsasl7, exim | mail-transport-agent

 FYI - Please CC me in reponse, as I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks.

--
  Nick Jennings